White FHU Logo
White FHU Logo

Frequently Asked Questions

Finding Items

How do I search for books in the catalog?
The library’s home page has a search portal for the online catalog. Type an author name, title, or keyword into the text box and click the search button. On your first search, try to select one or just a few general keywords, and then examine the result list. If you get too many results, try adding keywords to refine your search.

The book I want is checked out. What can I do?
You can put a hold on the book so that when it’s returned, we’ll notify you and set it aside for you to pick up. To put a hold on a book, you can ask a librarian to place the hold for you, or you can locate the book in our online catalog and click on the Place Hold box. If the book you need is overdue, we can recall the book for you and send you a notification when it’s returned.

The book I want is supposed to be here, but it’s not on the shelf. What can I do?
First, double check to make sure that you are in the right collection. For instance, if you are looking for a book with a call number that starts with an M, make sure that you aren’t in the reference collection looking at the M section. If you still can’t find it, we have a link on the library home page where you can let us know about items you can’t find on the shelf. But you can also ask a librarian for help. It could be that the book is temporarily housed elsewhere, waiting to be reshelved, or being repaired.

The library doesn’t have the book I want. Is there any way I can get it?
We often borrow books or articles from other libraries to help you get all the resources you need. You can fill out a form online or stop by the library and fill out a form. You’ll need to know the title and author and whatever other information you can provide to help us find the right item quickly. It usually takes a minimum of a couple of business days to locate an article and at least a week to receive a book through the mail, so submit your form well before your project is due! There is a processing charge of one dollar per article request and three dollars per book request. There is also a limit of five requests per day and 25 per year.

Where are Videos, DVDs, CDs, and Tapes?
All audiovisual materials, including Videos, DVDs,CDs, Tapes, Records, Slides, and CD-ROMS (except FLIX DVDs), are in the Hope Barber Shull Academic Resource Center, on the second floor in the AV room. FLIX DVDs are located on the first floor of the HBSARC. Some audiovisual materials can only be used in the library unless they are being used in a class presentation. But CDs and the FLIX DVD collection can be checked out of the library by all students, faculty, and staff.

Returning Items

Where do I return books, videos, etc.?
We ask that you return them to the library you got them from (Juvenile to the Learning Resource Library; books and audiovisuals to the Loden-Daniel Library in the Hope Barber Shull Academic Resource Center). For the times when the LRL is closed, you can return items to the library instead, either at the front desk or in the book drop on the library’s outside east wall.

Can I renew my books without bringing them to the library?
Yes! You can renew books and some audiovisual materials by logging onto your My Library Account. You can renew your items online just one time; please note that FLIX are not available for online renewal.

Can I use a laptop in the library and get wireless internet service?
Yes! The library, like all buildings on campus, has wireless internet access. There are also numerous places to plug in your laptop’s power supply if your battery is running low.

Who Can Use the Library?

I am in the Honors College. Do I have any special borrowing privileges?
Students currently in the Honors College can check out reference books and periodicals for 24 hours and get a four week checkout of books. Be sure to bring your Honors College ID with you along with your library card. You can also renew books once over the phone.

I’ve never gone to Freed-Hardeman University, but I live in the area. Can I check out books?
You can if you apply for a Community Card. With a community card you can have up to three items checked out at any time, and you can begin borrowing as soon as you open the account! The card costs $30 for non-Alumni, payable by cash or check, and is good for three years. You must be at least a junior in high school to get a community card. Come by the library to fill out a form.

I’m an alumnus of Freed-Hardeman University. Do I still have the ability to check out books?
You can if you apply for a Community Card. With a community card, you can have up to three items checked out at any time, and you can begin borrowing as soon as you open the account! The card costs $20 for alumni, payable by cash or check, and is good for three years.

I’m not a student at Freed-Hardeman University, but I go to a different college nearby. Can I check out books?
Yes! FHU has an agreement with several nearby colleges and universities that allows students to borrow from each other’s libraries. Come by the library and ask to apply for a “WeTALC Card” (West Tennessee Academic Library Consortium). The card is free but is only valid while you are enrolled in the participating college. With a WeTALC card, you can have up to three items checked out at any time, and you can begin borrowing as soon as you open the account. Be sure to bring your student ID with you when you open your account. Participating colleges: Baptist College of Health Sciences, Bethel University, Cecil C. Humphreys School of Law Library, Christian Brothers University, Dyersburg State Community College, Jackson State Community College, Lane College, LeMoyne-Owen College, Memphis College of Art, Rhodes College, Southern College of Optometry, Southwest Tennessee Community College, University of Tennessee at Martin, Union University, University of Memphis, University of Memphis at Lambuth, University of Tennessee Health Science Center, and Victory University.

Online Resources

If I find a journal citation that doesn’t have full text, how can I locate the article?
First, see if the library has the journal in any other place. It might be bound, in another database, or on microfilm. Go to the journal search section and search for the journal to see if it is available elsewhere. If not, you can fill out an Article Interlibrary Loan form, and we can see if we can get the article from another library!

How do I access reserves online? 
Not everything your teacher leaves on reserve can be viewed online, but we do usually try to put shorter items, like articles or chapters, online so you can print them off. To do this, go to our Course Reserves page, search for your teacher, and then click on your class to view all the items available. For those that are available online, look for a “View Now” link.


When does the Scholastic Book Fair come to the Library?
We host a Scholastic Bookfair around exam week in the fall and spring semesters. You’d find it in the Learning Resource Library in the basement of the Gardner Center.

Does the library ever sell any old or extra books?
We do occasionally sell duplicate and older books at a book sale during lectureships in February.

Can I donate some of my books to the library?
We welcome your donations! Whether academic, professional, religious, juvenile, or current fiction, the library is always looking to expand its collection. Just bring your donation by and give it to a librarian, or if your donation is too big to handle, call the library, and we can usually arrange to pick it up ourselves. Your donations are tax-deductible.