major in sport administration
Bachelor’s Degree in Sport Administration
B.B.A. in Sport Administration Program Overview
Are you passionate about sports and business? A sport administration degree might be the perfect fit for you! The B.B.A. in Sport Administration program is designed to equip students with a strong business foundation while honing their management and leadership skills specifically for the sports industry. With real-world applications and hands-on experience, this degree program is the perfect stepping stone toward a fulfilling career in sport administration.
Bachelor of Business Administration
College of Business
Department chair name:
Learning at FHU
Why study sport administration at FHU?
Our program provides professional business training from experienced faculty members who are both academically and professionally prepared. And our state-of-the-art Brown-Kopel Business Center offers an ideal learning environment to support your growth and development. Whether you see yourself coaching, working in high school or college administration or pursuing a career in the professional sports industry, prepare for an exciting career with a sport administration degree from FHU.
- Professional business training from knowledgeable faculty
- Combine academics and real-life experiences
- Develop skills to excel in educational and commercial roles
- Hands-on learning experience
- The Brown-Kopel Business Center at FHU
- Access to internships, unique job opportunities, and athletic events
Sport Administration Degree Four-Year Plans
A sport administration degree might be the perfect fit if you have a passion for sports and management. With this degree, you’ll learn everything you need to know to run a sports team or organization, from marketing and finance to event planning and recruiting. And with the help of a solid four-year plan, you’ll be able to achieve your dream of making a career out of your love for sports.
Careers for Sport Administration Majors
The demand for professionals with a sport administration degree is expected to boom over the next decade! According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the employment of recreation workers is set to rise by a staggering 8 percent from 2018 to 2028. This increase is faster than the average for all occupations, meaning your career prospects look bright. From directing college athletic departments to event coordinators, the options are vast and varied for sport administration majors.
- Athletic Director
- General Manager
- Facility/Operations Manager
- Public Relations Director
- Public Recreation Director
- Sport Broadcasting
Major in Sport Administration Degree Requirements
This degree program focuses on management, leadership, and real-world applications in the sports industry. With a total of 63 credit hours, the curriculum includes 39 hours of Common Professional Core courses required for all B.B.A. majors, as well as sports administration, communication, kinesiology and business electives. As a graduate of this program, you’ll be well-equipped to enter the exciting world of sport management and help lead the teams and organizations that make a difference in the sports world.
I. Liberal Arts Core Requirements - 34 hours
Listed in this catalog under Academics: Liberal Arts Core
Limit II. C. Quantitative Reasoning to MAT 235 Introductory Statistics
II. Common Professional Component for all B.B.A. Majors - 39 hours
|ACC 231||Principles of Accounting I||3|
|ACC 233||Principles of Accounting II||3|
|BAN 225||Quantitative Business Analysis||3|
|BUS 254||Business Technology||3|
|BUS 351||Business Communication (W)||3|
|BUS 354||Legal Environment of Business||3|
|BUS 455||Business Ethics (W)||3|
|BUS 459||Business Capstone (W)||3|
|FIN 385||Managerial Finance||3|
|MGT 241||Principles of Management||3|
|MKT 261||Principles of Marketing||3|
III. Major Requirements - 24 hours
|SPT 273||Introduction to Sport Administration||3|
|SPT 371||Sport Marketing||3|
|SPT 372||Sport Operations||3|
|SPT 471||Financial Management for Sport Administration||3|
|SPT 472||Risk Management for Sport Administration||3|
|SPT 479||Sport Administration Internship||3|
|Choose 6 hours from the following courses||6|
|KIN 425||Organization and Administration of Physical Education (W)||3|
IV. Recommended Electives - 4 hours
Choose a minimum of four hours from the following courses
|BIO 115||Medical Terminology||2|
|NSG 299/399||Special Topics in Nursing||3|
|HEA 316||Substance Abuse Education||3|
|NSG 310||Aging and Care for the Older Adult||3|
|PSY 218||Abnormal Psychology||3|
|PSY 310||Developmental Psychology||3|
Frequently Asked Questions About Studying Sport Administration at FHU
Below are answers to questions prospective students often have when considering a major in Sport Administration. If you have additional questions or need more information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org and they will happily answer questions and provide additional details about our program.
What are the benefits of studying Sport Administration at FHU?
Studying Sport Administration at FHU (Freed-Hardeman University) offers several benefits for students interested in pursuing a career in sport management. Here are some of the key benefits:
- Comprehensive Education: FHU’s Sport Administration program provides students with a comprehensive education in the field, covering sport marketing, event management, finance, law and ethics. This provides students with a strong foundation of knowledge that they can apply to various career paths.
- Hands-On Experience: FHU’s Sport Administration program emphasizes hands-on experience, with opportunities for students to work in various settings, including athletic departments, sports organizations, and event management companies. This helps students develop practical skills and gain valuable experience in the field.
- Individualized Attention: FHU’s Sport Administration program provides students individualized attention from faculty members who are experts in their field. This ensures that students receive high-quality instruction and support throughout their educational journey.
- Advanced Technology at The Brown-Kopel Business Center: FHU’s Sport Administration program is supported by advanced technology, including state-of-the-art equipment for sport analytics, event management, and marketing. This provides students access to cutting-edge tools and technology used in the field.
- Christian Foundation: FHU’s Sport Administration program is grounded in Christian values, emphasizing the importance of ethical and moral principles in all areas of study. This helps students develop a strong sense of integrity and responsibility, which are essential for success in any career path.
- Career Preparation: FHU’s sport management degree is designed to prepare students for a variety of careers in sport management, including sport marketing, event management, facility management and athletic administration. Graduates are well-prepared to pursue advanced degrees or enter the workforce directly after graduation.
Studying Sports Administration at FHU provides students with a comprehensive education, hands-on experience, individualized attention, access to advanced technology, a Christian foundation, and career preparation. These benefits make FHU’s Sport Administration program an excellent choice for students interested in pursuing a career in a sport industry.
What kind of jobs can I get with a Sport Administration degree?
A sport administration degree provides graduates various career opportunities within the sport industry. Here are some of the most common job roles:
- Sport Marketing Manager: A Sport Marketing Manager promotes a team, league, event, or brand through various marketing channels. This can include advertising, public relations, social media, and sponsorships.
- Athletic Director: An Athletic Director manages the athletic department of a college or university. They oversee coaches, manage budgets, organize events, and ensure compliance with regulations.
- Event Coordinator: An Event Coordinator plans and executes sports events such as tournaments, games, and conferences. They work with vendors, sponsors, and venues to ensure that events run smoothly.
- Facility Manager: A Facility Manager oversees the operation and maintenance of sports facilities such as arenas, stadiums, and training centers. They ensure that facilities are safe and functional for athletes and spectators.
- Sports Agent: A Sports Agent represents athletes and negotiates contracts with teams, leagues, and brands. They work to secure endorsement deals, manage finances, and provide career advice to their clients.
- Sports Information Director: A Sports Information Director manages a sport business program’s publicity and media relations. They produce press releases, arrange interviews, and manage social media accounts.
- Sport Journalist: A Sport Journalist reports on sports news and events for various media outlets such as newspapers, magazines, radio, and television.
A sport administration major provides graduates with a wide range of job opportunities in the sports industry. Graduates can pursue careers in sports marketing, sport finance, athletic administration, event management, facility management, sport journalism, and sports agenting. With the increasing popularity of sports and the growing importance of sports in our culture, there is a high demand for professionals with expertise in sport administration.
At Freed-Hardeman University, we proudly prepare our students to become knowledgeable, ethical and successful leaders in the sports industry. Our faculty members are dedicated to helping students develop skills to succeed and meet their goals. We strive to help students find their professional niche and pursue a rewarding and fulfilling career. With our comprehensive curriculum, hands-on experience, individualized attention, access to advanced technology, and a Christian foundation, we believe that students who study Sport Administration at FHU have the best chance of reaching their full potential.
If you are interested in pursuing a career in sport management, contact us today to learn more about why studying Sport Administration at FHU is the right choice for you. We look forward to helping you reach your goals and make a positive impact in the sports industry.
What will I learn by studying Sport Administration?
Studying Sport Administration provides students with a comprehensive education in the business side of sports. Here are some of the key topics that students can expect to learn:
- Sport Marketing: Students will learn the principles of sport marketing, including branding, sponsorship, advertising, and social media. They will also learn how to develop marketing plans that promote sports teams, leagues, and events.
- Event Management: Students will learn how to plan, organize, and execute sports events such as tournaments, games, and conferences. They will also learn about venue selection, logistics, and risk management.
- Finance and Economics: Students will learn how to manage budgets, analyze financial statements, and evaluate the economic impact of sports on local and regional economies.
- Law and Ethics: Students will learn about legal issues related to sports, including contracts, liability, intellectual property, and labor laws. They will also learn about ethical considerations in sport administration, such as fair play, sportsmanship, and social responsibility.
- Leadership and Management: Students will learn how to lead and manage sports organizations, including teams, leagues, and athletic departments. They will also learn about human resources, organizational behavior, and effective communication.
- Sport Analytics: Students will learn how to use data and statistics to make informed decisions in sport administration. They will also learn about emerging virtual, augmented, and wearable technologies.
- Global Sports: Students will learn about the globalization of sports and the challenges and opportunities this presents for sports organizations. They will also learn about cross-cultural differences in sports and how to navigate them in international contexts.
Studying Sport Administration provides students with a broad foundation of knowledge in the business side of sports. Students will learn about sport marketing, event management, sport finance and economics, law and ethics, leadership and management, sport analytics, and global sports. This comprehensive education prepares graduates for various career paths in sport administration.
Access to the Brown-Kopel Business Center at FHU allows students to gain real-world experience and develop their skills through simulations, internships, workshops, and other experiential learning opportunities. From networking with business professionals to developing innovative solutions, graduates of the Sport Administration program will be well-prepared to make an impact in the sports industry.
What skills will I need to succeed in a career in Sport Administration?
Succeeding in a career in Sport Administration requires a unique set of skills that combine business acumen with a passion for sports. Here are some of the critical skills that you will need:
- Communication: Strong communication skills are essential for success in Sport Administration. You will need to be able to articulate your ideas clearly and persuasively, whether you are presenting a marketing plan to a sponsor or negotiating a contract with an athlete.
- Leadership: Sport Administration requires strong leadership skills, as you will manage teams, departments, and organizations. You will need to be able to inspire and motivate people, delegate tasks, and make tough decisions in leadership positions.
- Organizational Skills: Sport Administration manages complex events, budgets and schedules. You will need excellent organizational skills to keep everything running smoothly and meet deadlines.
- Financial Management: Sport Administration requires a deep understanding of finance and accounting principles, as you will be responsible for managing budgets, analyzing financial statements and making strategic financial decisions.
- Problem-Solving: Sport Administration involves various challenges and issues, from managing conflicts between athletes and coaches to responding to crises such as weather-related cancellations. You need strong problem-solving skills to navigate these challenges and find practical solutions.
- Marketing: Effective marketing is essential for success in Sport Administration, whether you are promoting a team, event, or brand. You will need to have a solid understanding of marketing principles and data analytics and be able to develop creative strategies to engage fans and sponsors.
- Passion for Sports: Above all, succeeding in a career in Sport Administration requires a genuine passion for sports. You will need to be knowledgeable about sports and their history, culture, and impact on society. A deep understanding of the intricacies of different sports can help you make informed decisions and connect with fans, athletes, and other stakeholders.
Succeeding in a career in Sport Administration requires a unique combination of skills, including solid communication and leadership skills, excellent organizational and financial management skills, problem-solving ability, marketing expertise, and a genuine passion for sports.
The experienced professors and faculty in the College of Business at Freed-Hardeman University will provide the guidance and support you need to develop these skills and succeed in a career in Sport Administration. With access to world-class facilities like the Brown-Kopel Business Center, you can gain real-world experience and explore innovative solutions that impact the sports industry. Freed-Hardeman University provides the perfect environment for aspiring Sport Administrators to develop their skills, pursue a rewarding career, and become industry leaders.
Still Deciding on a major?