White FHU Logo
White FHU Logo
HomeAcademicsAcademic ResourcesAcademic SupportDeclare a Major/Minor

Declare a Major/Minor

Declaring a Major or Minor

Typically, freshmen and transfer students who are admitted in good academic standing are allowed to declare a major during their advising appointment or when they arrive on campus for their first semester. Freed-Hardeman offers more than forty majors to its undergraduate students. In addition, students may choose a “concentration” (within some majors) or a “minor.” 

A student completes the Declaration of Major Form to choose a major and/or minor. If a student has previously declared a major and wishes to change or add a major, use the Declaration of Major Form. If you have questions or need assistance in completing the form, please visit Academic Success & Records in Gardner Center, office GC 114. A departmental advisor will be assigned only after the Declaration of Major Form is submitted. 

Changing a Major, Adding a Second Major, Adding a Concentration, or Adding a Minor

Students desiring to make any change from their original major declaration – change from one major to another major, add a second major, add a concentration, or add a minor, etc. – must contact the Registrar Office. Students are strongly advised to meet with an adviser in the new major under consideration and discuss the feasibility of making a change before the actual change process is begun. 

There is a period in each semester when students cannot declare or change majors. This dead period lasts about two weeks and begins five days prior to the date for seniors to begin registering for the following semester, and continues through the Monday following freshmen registration. Students will not be allowed to change or declare a major during this period.