major in english
Bachelor’s Degree in English
B.A. in English Program Overview
Discover literature and writing at Freed-Hardeman University’s B.A. in English program. Study great works, explore specialties and develop critical skills with passionate faculty. Shape a fulfilling future!
Bachelor of Arts
Department of Creative and Communication Arts
Department chair name:
B.A., M.A., Ph.D.
Learning at FHU
Why choose the English degree at FHU?
Discover a transformative experience while studying English at Freed-Hardeman University. Benefit from our scholarly and community-oriented approach, collaborating with passionate faculty and like-minded peers. Explore great British and American writers, delve into specialized areas and sharpen critical thinking and writing skills. Whether your ambition is teaching, pursuing graduate studies or excelling in diverse fields, FHU’s English program sets the stage for a fulfilling future. Unlock your potential with FHU’s English program today!
Bachelor of Arts in English Four-Year Plans
Discover your path to a successful career in English with FHU’s B.A. in English program. Excel in literature and communication skills for today’s competitive world. Streamline your journey with our four-year graduation plans. Start your fulfilling academic experience today!
Careers for English Majors
Explore diverse career paths with an English major at FHU. From literature analysis and creative writing to teaching and editing, an English degree offers numerous opportunities in education, publishing, journalism, marketing and more. Thrive in your future with an English major at FHU!
English Degree Requirements
An English major equips you with versatile skills in communication, critical thinking, and adaptability, ideal for diverse career opportunities in media, public relations, and journalism. Embrace the interconnected world with confidence and excel in your chosen path with an English degree.
I. Liberal Arts Core Requirements
Listed in this catalog under Academics: Liberal Arts Core
II. Major Requirements - 42 hours
(In addition to the Liberal Arts Core requirement of three (3) hours of literature, six (6) additional hours of literature are required, so that the student has credit in all three areas of literature: English, American, and World.)
|ENG 295||Introduction to English Studies (W)||2|
|ENG 305||Advanced Traditional Grammar||3|
|ENG 335||Romantic Poetry and Prose OR||3|
|ENG 385||Victorian Poetry and Prose||(3)|
|ENG 365||Renaissance Drama (W)||3|
|ENG 405||Advanced Composition (W)||3|
|ENG 425||The British Novel OR||3|
|ENG 435||American Fiction||(3)|
|ENG 495||Senior Project (W)||1|
|ENG||Additional upper-division English||12|
|SPA 131||Elementary Spanish I||3|
|SPA 132||Elementary Spanish II||3|
|ENG 225||British Literature||3|
|ENG 235||American Literature||3|
*Students must take at least three (3) hours of a theory-based, upper division literature class. A theory-based course is one designated with the letters “TH” on the course schedule.
III. Additional Requirements - 3-4 hours
Humanities course for B.A. Degree
IV. Electives (including additional Bible) - 46-47 hours
Requirements for Teaching Licensure in English
1. Completion of the B.A. major in English as outlined above.
2. Required professional education courses. (See Department of Education entry.)
Frequently Asked Questions About Our English Program
Below are answers to questions prospective students often have when considering a major in English. If you have additional questions or need more information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org and we will happily answer questions and provide additional details about our program.
Frequently Asked Questions About Our English Major
The English major at FHU is a comprehensive program that offers a scholarly and community-oriented experience. It is designed to provide students with a deep understanding of literature, critical thinking, and writing skills. The program offers a wide range of literature courses, covering great writers from British and American traditions, as well as specialized areas like women writers, Arthurian literature, and African-American literature through topical seminars.
Students in the English major have the opportunity to work alongside like-minded peers and passionate faculty who approach their craft from a Christian perspective. The program aims to develop students’ ability to analyze and interpret literary works, enhance their writing proficiency, and cultivate a greater appreciation for language and storytelling.
Upon completion of the English major at FHU, graduates are well-prepared for various career paths, including teaching at the secondary level, pursuing graduate degrees in English, entering law school or other professional degree programs, and working in fields such as writing, editing, banking, finance, and ministry. The program fosters critical thinking, effective communication, and analytical skills that are valuable in any field requiring interpretation of texts and making oral presentations.
What is the job outlook for the English major?
The job outlook for English majors is diverse and promising. While the specific job opportunities may vary depending on individual interests and skills, an English major equips graduates with valuable transferable skills that are highly sought after in various industries.
Potential Career Paths for English Majors:
- Writing and Editing: English majors can pursue careers as writers, authors, or editors for publishing houses, newspapers, magazines, or digital media platforms.
- Education: Teaching at the secondary level or pursuing advanced degrees for a career in academia is a common path for English majors.
- Communications and Public Relations: Graduates can work as public relations specialists, communication managers, or media relations managers, leveraging their strong communication and writing skills.
- Marketing and Advertising: English majors can excel in marketing and advertising roles, creating compelling content, and crafting brand messaging.
- Journalism: Journalism careers, both in traditional media and online platforms, are suitable for English majors with a passion for reporting and storytelling.
- Technical Writing: English majors can explore technical writing roles, producing manuals, guides, and documentation for various industries.
The diverse skill set of an English major, including critical thinking, analysis, communication, and creativity, is applicable across many fields. This versatility allows English majors to adapt and thrive in dynamic job markets and contribute effectively to various industries. As long as there is a need for clear communication, effective storytelling, and critical analysis, the job outlook for English majors remains promising.
What are the benefits of majoring in English at FHU?
Majoring in English at FHU offers numerous benefits that contribute to a fulfilling and successful academic and professional journey. Some of the key benefits of the English program at FHU include:
- Scholarly and Community-Oriented Experience: The English program at FHU fosters a supportive and collaborative community, allowing students to work alongside like-minded peers and passionate faculty members who are dedicated to their craft and approach their teaching from a Christian perspective.
- Diverse Range of Literature Courses: Students in the English program have the opportunity to explore a wide range of literature courses, including works from British and American traditions and specialized areas such as women writers, Arthurian literature, and African-American literature through topical seminars. This exposure enriches their understanding of various literary traditions and perspectives.
- Critical Thinking and Writing Skills: The program emphasizes the development of critical thinking, analytical skills, and writing proficiency. These skills are valuable in various fields and prepare graduates to excel in careers that require effective problem-solving, communication, and interpretation of complex texts.
- Versatile Career Paths: An English degree opens the door to diverse career opportunities. Graduates can pursue careers in education, writing, editing, publishing, journalism, marketing, public relations, and more. The transferable skills gained during the program make English majors adaptable and sought after in various industries.
- Impactful Communication: The program cultivates effective communication skills, enabling graduates to craft compelling narratives, deliver persuasive presentations, and articulate their ideas eloquently.
- Personal and Professional Growth: Engaging with classic and contemporary literary works and participating in critical discussions enriches students’ intellectual growth and enhances their understanding of the human experience.
Overall, majoring in English at FHU offers a transformative educational experience, preparing graduates for meaningful and rewarding careers while nurturing their passion for literature and language.
What is unique about majoring in English at FHU?
Majoring in English at FHU offers a distinctive and enriching educational journey that sets it apart from other programs. Here are some unique features that make the English major at FHU stand out:
- Scholarly and Community-Oriented Experience: The English program at FHU provides a scholarly and community-oriented atmosphere, where students collaborate with passionate faculty and like-minded peers. This supportive environment fosters a deeper appreciation for literature and enhances the learning experience.
- Diverse Literature Courses: FHU’s English major offers a wide range of literature courses that cover great writers from British and American traditions. Students also have the opportunity to explore specialized areas, such as women writers, Arthurian literature, and African-American literature, through topical seminars. This diverse exposure enriches students’ understanding of various literary traditions and perspectives.
- Christian Perspective: FHU’s English major is approached from a Christian perspective, fostering an appreciation for the intersection of literature, faith, and ethics. This perspective enriches students’ understanding of the broader implications of literature and language.
- Preparation for Diverse Career Paths: An English major opens doors to various career opportunities. Graduates can pursue careers in education, writing, editing, publishing, journalism, marketing, public relations, and more. The program equips students with transferable skills that are highly valued in a variety of industries.
- Preparation for Graduate Studies: For students interested in furthering their education, FHU’s English program provides a strong foundation for pursuing graduate studies in English, literature, creative writing, or related fields.
- Alumni Success: FHU’s English program has a history of successful alumni who have excelled in various fields, including education, writing, editing, law, and more. The program’s effectiveness is evident through the achievements of its graduates.
- Small Class Sizes and Personalized Attention: FHU’s small class sizes allow for more personalized attention from faculty, creating an environment where students can actively participate in discussions and receive individualized feedback.
- Four-Year Graduation Plans: FHU provides students with four-year graduation plans, making the path to graduation more manageable and efficient.
In conclusion, majoring in English at FHU offers a unique and comprehensive educational experience that cultivates a deeper appreciation for literature, fosters critical thinking and writing skills, and prepares graduates for diverse career paths. With a supportive community, dedicated faculty, and a well-rounded curriculum, the English major at FHU is a gateway to a fulfilling and meaningful future in the world of literature and language.
Still Deciding on a major?