White FHU Logo
White FHU Logo
HomeAdmissions & AidFinancial AidGraduate Financial Aid

Graduate Financial Aid

how to afford graduate school

As you begin your graduate studies at Freed-Hardeman University, we know that good financial aid options are important to you. We want to make the process as simple as possible and offer great benefits. At FHU, we will guide you through the steps to receive financial aid.

If at any time during this process you need assistance, please contact the Office of Student Financial Services at 1-800-348-3481 ext. 6662 or finaid@fhu.edu.

students outside in regalia gathering

Steps to Receive Financial Aid

  1. Complete and submit the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid). This can be completed online at studentaid.gov. It opens October 1 of each calendar year and stays in effect for the upcoming academic year (the following summer, fall, and spring semesters.) This form must be completed each year.
  2. Once the FAFSA is processed, you will receive a SAR (Student Aid Report). This will show you all of the information that you entered on your FAFSA. Please read it carefully and make sure that it is correct.
  3. Once the SAR is received electronically by the school (2-3 business days after the FAFSA is submitted), we will send you an award package. This will tell you the loans that are available to you. You must be enrolled in at least 6 hours of graduate work to receive an award package or any amount of financial aid.
  4. Your award package will be emailed to your student email address when it has been created. Please login to the FHU Accept Awards using your financial aid ID and password. Accept or decline awards on the Accept Awards tab.
  5. If you accept a Federal Stafford loan, you will need to complete paperwork online to complete the loan process. Information and directions will be included in your financial aid package.
  6. Complete all required paperwork listed on your award letter and submit it to Student Financial Services. Books may be charged to your student account any time after registration.
  7. To request a refund of your financial aid, fill out the Request for Direct Deposit of Credit Balance form and send it to finaid@fhu.edu. This must be done each semester.
students hugging at commencement outside

The maximum amount a graduate student can receive in loans per academic year (Summer, Fall, and Spring) is $20,500. The amount awarded is based on the number of hours, number of weeks enrolled, and the federal budget for each student. The maximum aggregate (total) federal loan amount a graduate can receive is $138,500. This amount includes undergraduate loans as well. The Unsubsidized Stafford loans are currently at a fixed rate of 7.05%.

You may also pay your account by using Tuition Management System (TMS). This is an interest free monthly payment plan.

You may also pay your account by using Nelnet

Please feel free to contact us at 1-800-348-3481 ext. 6662 or finaid@fhu.edu if you have any questions.

We are here to help in any way that we can!